Monday, April 2, 2012

Shoofly Cupcakes


I have been seriously craving food from home for the past week or so. I get like this even more so when my brother posts his lunch choices on Facebook. He's such a brat and does this quite often. 

He posted that he was going to the orchard for some fruit and Shoofly Pie. SHOOFLY PIE? Ah, man! Super jealous. There is nothing like it. The awesome pie itself is native to the Pennsylvania Dutch. It has a unique flavor and demands to be partnered with an ice cold glass of milk. My most favorite version of this delight is the wet-bottomed Shoofly Pie. 

If you haven't had it before or have a hankering for something different, you should definitely try it. It's not for everyone, but when one has grown up with it from a young age, it becomes imbedded into the veins and is very hard to remove.

I decided to make a cupcake version since they're fast, super easy, and will curb the niggling I have. For now anyway.

It won't be completely appeased until I give my brother a super big wedgie and make him scream, "UNCLE!" for being such an troublemaker.

Being a big sister definitely has its advantages. Good times.


SHOOFLY CUPCAKES
Recipe adapted from Amish Country Cookbook
  
4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups brown sugar, packed - I used 1 cup light and 1 cup dark
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, cold and cubed
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups boiling water
1 cup molasses

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Prepare two 12-cup muffin tins with papers.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 1 cup for topping.


Add baking soda to remaining crumb mixture. Stir in water and molasses. 


Fill cups about two-thirds of the way. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. 


Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. I baked mine for exactly 20 minutes as I like it to be denser. You may need more time.

Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool. 

Yields: 24 cupcakes. 

Happy Baking!


share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}